May 23 is celebrated World Turtle Day and here are unknown facts about this vulnerable animal:
- Turtles have lived in the ocean for more than one million years.
- There are seven turtle species on earth, which are the green turtle, the loggerhead, hawksbill, olive ridley, flatback, and leatherback turtles.
- Turtles have been historically exploited for subsistence use as food and oil.
- Sea turtles rarely leave the ocean, while freshwater turtles will leave the water to lay in the sun.
- The Snapping Turtle cannot fully draw their legs and head into their shells when threatened. However, they have developed strong jaws that which they snap for protection.
According to Kenya Wildlife Service(KWS) all 5 turtle species have been listed as vulnerable by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) with the main cause being human degradation, illegal exploitation and foraging habits.