Kenyan ladies from humble backgrounds are unable to afford the high cost of sanitary towels. Some of them have to miss school during their menstrual days.
The high prices of sanitary towels calls for the government to bring in a more affordable alternative.
Menstrual cup are reusable hygiene products. They are funnel-shaped and made of rubber or silicone.
The cups are inserted into the vagina to collect menstrual fluid.
Menstrual cups are not only healthier but cheaper. Here are advantages of using a menstrual cup:
- They are long lasting. According to the manufacturing company Diva’s Cup, they can last up to 10 years.
- The cups are also economical as you can wash, sanitize and re-use it unlike pads that are used only once.
- Menstrual cups last longer during your periods as they can be used for up to 12 hours compared to pads, which go for only six hours.
- These cups are also healthier as they do not have latex, dye or additives contained in pads.
- Additionally, pads lead to rashes even when you wear them for short hours. This is avoidable when you use menstrual cups.
Tuesday in Menstrual Hygiene Day and instead of activists insisting on the use of sanitary towels which are expensive, they should focus on innovation and providing ways in which disadvantaged girls can get economical menstrual cups and washable pads.