Every new year, people worldwide set resolutions of new habits and goals.
However, by the end of the second month, February, three quarters of people have given up on their resolutions.
Common resolutions people make include losing weight, saving and investing, quit drinking or smoking, ban certain friends, go to church, read a book, learn to cook, keep fit, pursue a hobby or talent, start a business, get married and the list goes on.
It has been said that only 12 percent of people, end up accomplishing their New Year’s resolutions. The rest of 88 percent of New Years Resolutions are not completed or fail.
What causes majority of people fail to achieve their goals?
To achieve a resolution or goal requires a full commitment and willingness to change. Often times you will be required to step out of your comfort zone.
Change equally takes time, takes a lot of effort and energy.
For one to realise their goals, they have to change their habits, perspective, priorities and beliefs.
From experts, here are six tips to help you achieve your goals before the year ends.
- Take time to reflect
Reflection is important as it helps you to know where you are at the moment and wher you want to go. Meditate on this questions
- What has been my first 6 months?
- What is currently missing that I expected to have by now?
- -What has caused me not to achieve it? Setbacks, hardships or obstacles
- -What matters most to me?
- -How would I want to grow as a person?
- -How would I like to positively change my life?
- -What’s the one goal I would like to achieve above all others
- -What would it take me to achieve this goal?
2) Outline your goals
Goals are the wheels that will drive you to achieve your dream
Experts recommend practice of SMART goals to help you attain what you planned.
Some questions to help you outline your goals include
- -Who am I doing this for?
- -Why do I want this goal in my life?
- -Does this goal align with my passions and purpose?
- –What are my five core values? Does my goal address all of them?
- -Am I willing to fully commit to this goal?
- -Am I realistically able to commit to the attainment of this goal?
- Create an action plan
Having set your goals, its now time for creating an action plan. The action plan must primarily focus on indulging in habits and behaviors that will help bring your goal to fruition.
Experts recommend breaking your plans into small daily actions, like chunkable steps you can take daily to help you realize your goals.
It is fundamental to build a resource list that will help you to progress forward. It includes knowing
- Do I need any resources?
- Will I need any specific tools?
- Would gaining knowledge about something help?
- What about support? Do I have anyone that could support or guide me?
- Take action
The journey towards your goal is a marathon. To run a successful marathon It is important to pace yourself accordingly.
It is important to start slowly and methodically to turn progressive actions into long lasting habits.
Work on creating small successes over time, and then raise the bar as you become more familiar and comfortable with your actions.
- What’s one small thing I could do right now to move me forward towards my goal?
- What’s my next step? What about the step after that?
4) Maintain Consistency
For a while even by doing right things, you may not see results. This may dishearten you, though remember that progress isn’t always measured in results, its rather measured by your actions.
Therefore keep doing what is rights even if results are hard to come by, it may take a while but at the end you will harvest the fruits.
- Keep yourself accountable
Always check on yourself to see if you are putting the effort.
When you are not able to keep yourself accountable, hire someone else to keep you accountable.
Whenever you miss your plan of action, spend a few minutes before the day ends and do it. It is better to do something than none at all.
Hopefully, these tips will help you get back on track and give you a reason to celebrate at the end of the year.