Ken Okoth’s journey to discovering that he had cancer

Spread the love

The late former Kibra MP, Kenneth Okoth, did not immediately discover that he had cancer.

In February this year when he publicly announced that he had been diagnosed with cancer, he said that he had been misdiagnosed severally.

Kibra MP Kenneth Okoth pays Prof. Judi Wakhungu a courtesy call. | Source: Prof. Judi Wakhungu |

Okoth was treated for ulcers and bacterial infections for about a year. At one point he was even put on medication to treat stress and anxiety.

The abdominal pains became severe and he lost a lot of weight. That’s when he sought a second opinion. However, the revelation that he had colorectal cancer came too late when the disease had already advanced to stage four.

“I will be using chemotherapy tablets that I can take every morning. Because my disease was discovered at a very advanced stage; it cannot be cured. It can only be managed,” the former Kibra MP revealed earlier in the year.

He began both radio and chemotherapy in 2018 to prevent organ failure.

Kibra MP, Kenneth Okoth AT Kibra Music Festival on July 7, 2019 with Nairobi Senator Jackson Sakaja. | Source: ODM Party |

Since his cancer was advanced, he was given two options of where he could get specialized care – US or Europe. The deceased chose Europe as it was the most affordable.

“I could not afford the US because it was too expensive. My wife is from Europe, where the cost is more affordable and I could get a residence permit quickly for the duration of the treatment,” the late Okoth told the media.

In the past five months, Okoth was receiving cancer treatment at Paris. However, after been engaged by a tweep on how he was doing, he intimated that the journey was not easy.

Napambana na hali yangu kabisa (I am dealing with my condition). Chemo drugs are brutal on the skin and immunity system,” he responded to the concerned Kenyan.

Nonetheless, he came back to Kenya about two weeks ago. He made his first public appearance on July 7th at the annual Kibra Music Festival at the Moi Girls School, Nairobi. Though he appeared weak, his strength to work for his Kibera people had been renewed.

However, on Thursday 5pm, he was admitted at the Nairobi Hospital and at around 8pm his conditioned worsened forcing him to be admitted in the ICU.

At around 4pm on Friday, the 41-year-old succumbed to multiple organ failure.

Share News With Tv47 Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through or WhatsApp: +254 7111 74 230. Contact Now
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

News Alert

Kenya records 143 new COVID-19 cases, 26 recoveries, 1 death today; total cases rise to 1,888, recoveries stand at 464 while death toll is 63

WhatsApp chat