Viazi karai is a Kenyan delicacy that is popular among the Swahili people from the Coastal region.
They are deep-fried potatoes which are dipped in flour mixture and turmeric or yellow food colour.
The viazi karai can be served with a sauce like Ukwaju sauce, chutney or tomato or chili sauce.
Ingredients of Viazi Karai
2kg of peeled and boiled potatoes, one and a half cups of gram flour, 3 tablespoons of turmeric, half teaspoon of salt and coriander.
How to cook
- Heat a pan with half-filled water and add teaspoon salt.
- Boil potatoes until they look almost cooked.
- Cut your potatoes into half and mix the gram flour, turmeric/food colour, and mix to make a thick batter.
- Add some salt in the batter to taste
- On a medium-high heat place, a deep bottomed heavy pan half-filled with cooking oil.
- Dip the cooked potatoes into the gram flour turmeric batter. Avoid overcrowding the potatoes when dipping them.
- Cook for a few minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove from heat and drain them on a plate lined with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Lastly, serve with chutney or ukwaju sauce.