Breast cancer is the first killer cancer in women, according to the American Institute of Cancer Research.
A study by the Sister Network showed that white women have a high incidence rate of cancer but unfortunately black women die more of cancer than white women.
Here are the reasons black women die more of cancer than white women:
- Black women do not go for breast cancer screening regularly thus cancer is detected at an advanced stage where patients mostly die.
- Black women do not have the resources such as health coverage hence will not do further health check-up if a mammogram identifies abnormalities.
- Black women are afraid of being diagnosed with cancer thus prefer not to go for screening.
- Black women do not get access to information related to breast cancer such as how severe it can be, how it can be treated when diagnosed early and some do not even know its symptoms.
- Black women are two times more likely to have an aggressive kind of cancer called Triple Negative Cancer that comes back after treatment.
Detecting cancer early will help save the lives of most black women. Therefore, it is advisable to go for monthly breast cancer screening and if one finds an abnormally then they should immediately seek for further diagnosis and treatment.