The Senate select committee investigating the impeachment of Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru will start its hearings today.
Mutira MCA David Kinyua Wangui, who is the mover of Waiguru’s ouster motion, will present the case before the Senator Cleophas Malala-led committee.
Governor Waiguru on Saturday, June 20 presented her defence, denying all the charges laid against her.
Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen alleged that the committee already had a pre-determined verdict, saying that it will save Governor Waiguru.
The committee is formed by the following Senators;
- Nominated Senator Abshiro Halake (KANU)- Vice Chairperson
- Senator Michael Mbito (Jubilee)
- Senator Paul Mwangi Githiomi (Jubilee)
- Nominated Senator Beth Mugo (Jubilee)
- Lamu Senator Anwar Loitiptip (Jubilee)
- Senator Philip Mpaayei
- Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala (ANC)- Chairperson
- Senator Beatrice Kwamboka (ODM)
- Kilifi Senator Stewart Madzayo (ODM)
- Nominated Senator Judith Pareno (ODM)
- Homa Bay Senator Moses Kajwang’ (ODM)
Article 182 of the Constitution states that the deputy county governor shall assume office as county governor for the reminder of the term, in the event that the office falls vacant.
Waiguru was impeached after 23 out of the 33 MCAs voted to support her ouster motion on grounds of gross misconduct and abuse of office.