The assault case against former Tetu MP Ndung’u Gethenji failed to kick off again yesterday.
Gethenji, who is accused of assaulting a security guard at Kihingo Village, Nairobi, on February 5, was expected to appear before Magistrate Martha Mutuku.
But his lawyer informed the court that one of Githinji’s co-accused had been permitted to attend a burial, and could thus not appear before her.
It is alleged that at 11.28 pm on the day of the incident, Gethenji arrived at the gates of Kihingo Village, where he lives, and an altercation ensued.
This is not the first time the former MP’s cases have been deferred for several reasons. On November 16, 2020, a case against him was deferred by magistrate Mutuku after he had reportedly been exposed to Covid-19.
Prior to this hearing date magistrate Mutuku had deferred his plea to March 24. She also ordered that Gethinji’s lawyer produces medical documents in court before taking a plea.
On December 1, 2020 Gethenji was expected in court, but again, court was informed that he was mourning his mother-in-law. This led to Mutuku again deferring the plea taking.
Gethenji was finally charged on December 17, 2020.
During the last hearing of the said case, the plaintiff’s lawyer George Wajackoyah told the court that the suspect was attempting to contact to contact his client identified as Godfrey Mutua and asked the court to take action.
The magistrate deferred his plea to March 24 (yesterday). She also ordered that Gethinji’s lawyer produce medical documents in court before taking a plea.
While giving his ruling on the next hearing date of the case Chief Magistrate Mutuku said the case has been adjourned too many times and may suggest favouritism.
“I don’t want to be seen as favouring either side or any adjournment should be handled with proper documentation going forward,” Mutuku said.
The case was adjourned to June 8, 2021.