The start of the week-long funeral rite in honour of the late Nigerian pastor Temitope Balogun Joshua, popularly known as T.B Joshua, was marked by a bizarre fire incident.
A candle-light procession was held on Monday evening at Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos, Nigeria. At around 11 pm, a fire reportedly erupted from a storehouse within the church’s premises.
This caused the over 6,000 mourners joining Joshua’s widow Evelyn Joshua in the procession, to scamper for safety.
Late Pastor Joshua’s burial
Church officials confirmed the incident, saying it was caused by an electric fault.
“In the late evening of Monday 5th July 2021, there was a minor electrical fire incident at a store house within The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations (SCOAN) complex. The incident was quickly brought under control without any injuries,” a statement from the church read.
The church further assured mourners that it was cooperating with government agencies to ensure the processions continue with no disruptions.
“We thank God for His continued protection. We assure the general public that there is no cause for alarm and the services celebrating the life and legacy of Prophet TB Joshua will continue as scheduled,” the statement read.
The Nigerian pastor died on June 5, and is set to be buried on July 9. A thanksgiving service in his honour will be held on July 11.