Saturday, September 18, 2021
HomeTV47CountiesGrief as Murang’a women killed by speeding car laid to rest

Grief as Murang’a women killed by speeding car laid to rest

A sombre mood engulfed Thenge-ini and Gaitega villages in Kiharu, Murang’a County, as four women who were knocked down by a speeding vehicle last week were laid to rest.

Jane Waiyego Marubu, Margaret Waithaka, Mary Waithira and Mary Wangari died on Sunday evening. They were leaving a Chama (merry-go-round) meeting when the vehicle, said to have been stolen, ran them over. They were walking along Murang’a-Kahuro Road.

Three died on the spot, while the other lost the battle while undergoing treatment at Murang’a County Referral Hospital.

Wangari’s family held the burial ceremony at her home in Gaitega; that of her colleagues was held at Thenge-ini.

Business activity at the two villages came to a standstill as hundreds of mourners including local leaders flocked Muchungucha Catholic Church to pay their last respects. The four were eulogized as a source of inspiration to many.

Murang’a Women Rep. Sabina Chege, Senator Irungu Kang’ata, Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro were among the mourners. They said adherence to traffic regulations should be enhanced to ensure road safety.

Murang'a women killed
Only a day after the four died, a man was killed by a speeding vehicle at the same spot. Leaders who spoke at the funeral called for enhancement in road safety measures. PHOTO/JOE GATHUYA: TV47

Community leader Joseph Nyutu asked the government to ensure there are enough road signs to help guide motorists.

Only a day after the deaths of the four women, a lad was run over and killed at the same spot. Youth leader Murathi Magochi asked traffic police to routinely inspect private vehicles to curb drunk driving.

MP Nyoro said he had contacted engineers from Kenya Rural Roads Authority to erect bumps along this black spot.

After the incident that cost the four mothers their lives, the driver fled from the scene and later handed himself over to the police. Murang’a County Police Commander Donatha Kiplangat said investigations are still on-going.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Top Stories