Saturday, November 27, 2021
HomeTV47NewFamily puzzled over son's mysterious disappearance after accusations of church bomb plot

Family puzzled over son’s mysterious disappearance after accusations of church bomb plot

In Summary

  • A Nairobi family is in search of their son who has been on the ATPU’s radar for allegedly attempting to blow up a church.
  • Trevor converted to Islam in 2017 and has since been watching films of a Muslim cleric gunned down and threatening to leave for Somalia.

A family in Nairobi’s Jericho area is demanding answers over the whereabouts of their son, accusing the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit for withholding information.

Their kin, Trevor Ndwiga Nyaga, 21, allegedly disappeared from home on September 3, although witnesses claim they last saw him on September 5.

His mother Diana Nyaga admits that her son’s woes began when he converted to Islam while in 2017. At the time he was a Form 3 student at Upper Hill High School. He changed his name to Jamal Idriss.

From then, Nyaga reveals that her son became a staunch follower of the Islam faith, and would spend most of his free time watching the teachings of the deceased fiery Muslim clerics such as Aboud Rogo who was accused of being an extremist.

Before he converted to Islam, she says Jamal was obedient, a “mummy’s boy” as he is the lastborn.

However, when he crossed over to the Islamic religion, Jamal developed a change of attitude. “Trevor even threatened that he wanted to cross to Somalia,” TheStar quotes her. 

“I regret calling ATPU on my son”

The trend continued through to March 2019, where she was forced to alert the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit. They arrested Jamal, although released him shortly afterwards.

He was re-arrested in November 2019 and arraigned in court in December. Jamal was accused of attempting to bomb a church in Nairobi then flee to DR Congo. This led to his remand at Kamiti Prison until September 2020 when his family offered a KSh2 million surety for his release.

As the case is still ongoing, he was directed to attend court proceedings virtually. Since his disappearance, the ATPU claims his phones went off and CCTV footage shows him boarding a bus to Wajir.

“I believe they want to sustain the narrative that my son has crossed to Somalia. They are holding him, either to later kill him and dump his body in Tana River or elsewhere,” Jamal’s mother alleges.

It appears that his friends also have a different narrative from the officers.

“I personally spoke to him on fourth on his phone that according to the ATPU was off. Again, I have spoken to five different people who saw my son on the Sunday, September 5, in Nairobi. So what Wajir are they talking about?” his mother recalls one of friends saying.

Now she says that she regrets her decision to call ATPU on her son, claiming she would have been at peace knowing he had crossed over to Somalia as he wanted.

“I deeply regret it. I wish I would have let him cross to Somalia and do whatever he wanted there, at least I would be peaceful because I’d be knowing where he is,” Nyaga adds.


TV47 is on Gotv, DStv, SIGNET, BAMBA and STARTIMES.

Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Top Stories

- Advertisement -spot_img