- Two children perished in a house fire in Embu County while they were asleep.
- Their mother is said to have stepped out to deliver supper to her husband, a security guard in the area.
A family in Kamata village, near Embu West sub-County, Embu County is in grief following the tragic death of their two children aged five and four in a fire.
It is suspected that the fire broke out at 8 pm on Friday while the children were asleep.
The mother had allegedly left to take tea to her husband who is a security guard in the neighborhood, leaving the children alone in the house.
Kiangima sub-location Assistant Chief Patrick Muriithi confirmed the incident, saying that even after the mother raised alarm, efforts by neighbours to put out the fire were futile as the fire had spread rapidly covering the entire brick house.
Police officers at the scene revealed that the house had been locked from outside.
Muriithi cautioned parents against leaving young children unattended at night.
Two minors burnt beyond recognition
This is after one of the neighbours revealed it was habitual for the mother to leave the minors alone whenever taking supper to her husband.
Meanwhile, locals criticized the county’s emergency response team over delayed action in such incidences.
“It worries us every time there is a fire the fire brigade team arrives late. We are asking the Governor to address this,” one of them opined.
The minors’ bodies were taken to Embu Level 5 Hospital mortuary, as investigations into the incident began.