- Two students suspected of starting the Buruburu Girls High School fire to be arraigned in court next week.
Two students suspected of starting a fire at Buruburu Girls High School will be arraigned on Monday.
They two are accused of planning and starting last week’s fire in one of the cubicles of the Kingdom Hostel, putting their colleagues’ lives at risk. Fifty-nine students were rushed to the nearby Metropolitan Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the two students were allegedly heard planning to set the dormitory on fire, and are later seen leaving the scene before the fire broke out.
Reporting back to school
Through a notice, the school’s administration said the institution will reopen today and tomorrow. The students are to report back in the company of their parents with KSh1,500 each to cater for the damages.
“Form 3 and 4 to report on Monday 8th at 9:00 am and Form 1 and 2 on Tuesday 9th at 9:00 am,” the notice from the school read in part.
Buruburu Girls has banned body sprays, sanitizers, spirits, jewelry and beadworks of any kind on its premises. Cars will also not be allowed in the school compound.
Kakamega Governor Wycliffe Oparanya recently said that students found guilty of arson should be slapped with hefty jail terms so as to obliterate the vice of school fires in the country.