Wednesday, December 1, 2021
spot_imgspot_img
Advertisment
HomeTV47CountiesLimuru tragedy: Three children die in house fire; mother was out hawking...

Limuru tragedy: Three children die in house fire; mother was out hawking eggs

In Summary

  • The fire which started at around 8 pm is suspected to have been caused by a burning candle
  • A neighbour was forced to knock down the door using an ax but the inferno was too big and spreading rapidly to other houses.

Police in Limuru, Kiambu County, are investigating circumstances surrounding the death of three minors after their house was razed down on Monday, November 9.

The three siblings (7-year-old Brandon Kiriro, 2-year-old Donnel Kinuthia and 10-month-old Nellan Wanjiru) were reportedly left behind as their mother went to hawk eggs and boiled maize in the nearby Ngecha shopping center.

Confirming the incident, area chief Leah Ngia said they suspect the fire that started at around 8 pm was caused by a candle.

Ephantus Kamau, one of the neighbours, told journalists that he was bathing when his children alerted him that there was a lot of smoke getting in the house.

Kamau says he quickly dashed out of the bathroom and was shocked to meet a plume of smoke in his house.

“I knew fire had started either in my house or my neighbor’s house. I took my children into a nearby nappier grass plantation and hid them there and rushed back to fight the fire. I realised it was my neighbour’s house which had been locked from outside,” Kamau narrates.

After confirming the fire was in his neighbour’s house, he tried to gain entry in order to salvage household items only to find the door locked from inside.

debris of the household items after the fire gutted down the house in Ngecha village in Kiambu County. November 9, 2021.PHOTO/TV47

Kamau was forced to break the door using an axe but the inferno was too big and spreading rapidly to other houses.

“I called for help and people responded. One of the neighbors got into the house and came out with two of the children. He placed them outside as other neighbours streamed into the compound to help battle the fire,” said Kamau.

It was at this point that the neighbours realised the youngest child was still in the house. Unfortunately, it was too late for him as he was already dead.

The bodies of the minors were taken to Gachie Level 5 Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

close

TV47 is on Gotv, DStv, SIGNET, BAMBA and STARTIMES.

Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

spot_img
RELATED ARTICLES
Advertisment
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Top Stories

- Advertisement -spot_img

Business